Wired Sonoma members:
In response to the shared workspace conversations, we are beginning to talk with property owners who might enter into a lease to craft a viable “incubator”, shared workspace and dynamic entrepreneurial activity center in Sonoma.
One model that appears to have had great success is the Hub (there’s one in Berkeley, and in many global cities)- we have a call into their GM Alex. The varying member levels allow you to only pay for the hours you work in the space. Some members will simply want to make connections and hold meetings, while others will work full time in the space. Below are the rates and terms used by the Hub in Berkeley.
*denotes number of hours per month
Hub 5 Hub 25 Hub 50 Hub 100 Hub Unlimited
$25 $119 $195 $345 $445
What members get in exchange for this are (quoting their website):
* Staff support on weekdays between 9am and 6pm
* High-speed wireless internet
* Printer/scanner/copier services
* Discounted (or free) meeting room and event space
* Access to kitchen and coffee bar
* Hub member online network
* Priority registration and seating for events
* Access to basket of professional tools and services
* Peace of mind that you don’t have to worry about building insurance, electricity, gas, water, garbage or the loneliness of working from home
* Additional services are available upon request: IT support, mailboxes, server space, personal storage, private phone lines, voicemail, high-end printing services, and car sharing options
This is the same kind of model we’d be looking to do here, possibly in conjunction with the Chamber or the Office of Economic Development. The space could also function as a Kinko’s (workspace only) for visitors.
SO, what we need to know in order to negotiate space and not be in a financial bind, is would you sign onto something like this and at what level of membership? This is not binding, but it is an expression of interest.
PLEASE drop me a note ASAP. We're looking at beautiful spaces right near the plaza.
Thanks so much,